New Roof Replacement
When it’s Time to Get a New Roof
Since 1984 Bowles Roofing has been the roofer to call for new roof replacement in Tallahassee and the surrounding areas. Because we understand how important you home is to you and your family, we have been honored to replace thousands of homeowners’ roofs. Businesses have also come to rely on Bowles Roofing for quality roof replacement.
When you are choosing your roofing contractor it is important to choose a company which is experienced, knowledgeable and has an established reputation. With our many years of service, we have what it takes to exceed your expectations and get the job done right the first time. Bowles Roofing is licensed, bonded and insured. We take pride in all of our work and would be honored to help you with all of your roofing services. When you need new roof replacement call or contact Bowles Roofing.
New Construction Roofing • Roof Repairs
Re-Roofs • and More
When is it Time to Replace Your Roof?
All roofs are not created equally. For instance, the quality of shingles or other roofing materials can either shorten or lengthen the life of a roof. Also, the way in which the roof is installed can affect the useful life of a roof. Finally, has the roof been properly maintained through the years? Keeping the roof free from overhanging trees, and avoiding moss or algae growth, will add years to the life of your roof. Here are some reasons why it might be time to consider a roof replacement:
- If your roof has sustained damage from a weather event, it may make more sense to replace it rather than mend it. Your insurance company may also see it this way as they also insure the contents of your home.
- Any roof that is approaching 20 years or older probably should be considered for replacement.
- If you know you are going to be selling your home in a few years or less, replacing the roof will go a long way in attracting buyers.
- When there are clear signs of missing, cracked, warped shingles. Also, when the shingles granules are missing and in your guttering.
The Bowles Roofing Process
The Bowles Roofing Process ensures our clients have a clear and transparent explanation of the services we will provide. We believe no matter how big or small the job, you deserve to understand exactly what and how the job will be fulfilled.
- FREE ESTIMATE: You can call, email, or come into our office and we will sit down to talk about your roof options.
- CONTRACT: Once you decide on which roof system is best, we will draft the contract. One of our professionals will read it through with you and answer any questions you may have.
- SCHEDULE: From here we schedule your job. We keep an eye on the weather 24/7 and will make sure that weather permits us to work.
- ARRIVING: Arrival at your home is normally between 7:30 and 8:30 am.
Our trailer is backed up to the roof and we unload our materials carefully onto your lawn or driveway. A tarp is laid down on the ground to catch any falling debris and protect your home. We also may lay plywood against the windows to protect them during the tear off process.
- TEAR-OFF: Our crew beings tearing off your old roof and strips it down to the bare wood. This is the first-time original decking is exposed.
- WOOD: Replace any bad wood on the entire roof. Bowles Roofing will not install a new roof over existing bad wood. We replace your wood with new exterior grade CDX plywood and always fasten every 6” on center with the trusses.
- RENAILING PLYWOOD: Next, we re-nail all your plywood on your roof. Every 6” inches along all the trusses will refasten the plywood. This meets the current Florida Building Code.
- ICE & WATER SHIELD: Before we can dry-in your roof with felt paper we use an Ice & Water shield barrier several places on your roof. This is a self-adhering rubber membrane which will not allow any water to get underneath it or soak through it. When nails penetrate through the Ice & Water shield, they are self- sealed by the rubber membrane.
This barrier is installed in all valleys, around roof penetrations, and on low slope roofs it is installed on the eave of the roof.
- FELT PAPER: Now we cover your roof with 30lb felt paper and fasten it using 7/8” long galvanized simplex nails. This paper meets the current Florida Building code ASTM DR 226. Covering your roof in felt paper has many uses: It protects the roof deck while men are working over it and protects the roof deck from any rain that may occur, and it is used as a backup for the shingles in case of severe windblown rain.
From here your new roof begins to come together piece by piece.
- DRIP EDGE: We install the eave metal (If your contract calls for it) along the perimeter of your roof.
- SHINGLES/METAL/TILE: We set up to have the roof material (shingles, metal, tile) delivered the day we expect to start installing them. Once shingles arrive, we begin installing them.
- FLASHINGS: Metal flashing is the most effective way to prevent leaks in the trouble spots on a roof. It is used as a water barrier and if properly installed will provide just as many years as your roof will. We pay extra close attention to any common problem areas on the roof. This is where the majority of roofing companies go wrong and have a leaky roof system.
- RIDGE VENT: We will install either an Aluminum or Shingle Over ridge vent and utilize as much space as possible to allow the attic to breathe better. Ventilation is required to have a quality roof.
Shingle roofing is a very common type of roofing material. It is available in a variety of styles and colors to compliment your home.
Tile roofing comes in a variety of materials such as concrete or clay. It is available in an assortment of colors which can enhance the curb appeal of your home.
As a former contracts manager I was initially greatly impressed with the comprehensiveness and professionalism of their bound proposal. Their performance (full roof replacement) was just as professional and did not disappoint. Thank you Matt and Team Bowles for an excellent job!