The Importance of Maintaining Your Home’s Roof
Bowles Roofing, a Tallahassee and Ocala Florida based roofing contractor since 1988 urges homeowners to be aware of the importance of properly maintaining their home’s roof, prolonging its life, and preserving your valuable investment. When the time does come to replace your home’s roof Bowles will be there to assist you in determining the best roof solution for your home and budget.
The Keys to Extending the Life of Your Home’s Roof
As with any major investment such as your vehicle, proper care and maintenance of your roof can go a long way to extending its life and potentially saving you unnecessary or untimely expense. The steps we will outline below will not take a great deal of your time but may prevent small issues from becoming a costly repair. If for any reason, you feel that you are incapable of performing any of these suggested precautions, Bowles Roofing will be available at your convenience to conduct a thorough and professional roof inspection. We strongly recommend that you inspect your roof at least every two years or after any major weather event.
- It’s possible with most roofs to look for curling or damaged shingles without the need to climb a ladder. Often this can be done just by walking around your home. Note any areas where shingles are missing or have begun to show signs of excessive wear, deterioration, or curling. A small number of shingles can usually be replaced at minimal expense by a homeowner. For those unwilling to do it themselves, Bowles Roofing or any competent roofer can assist.
- Because we live in Florida, our climate is very conducive to the growth of algae and fungus such as lichens. These can erode the integrity of your shingles and cause it to discolor. This is especially true in areas of your roof that remain mostly in the shade. The algae itself feeds off the microscopic particles found in the limestone that is used in making the shingles. It will usually appear as black or dark green staining. The remedy is to have your roof cleaned using chemical washes designed to get rid of the algae but not harm the integrity of the shingles themselves. Many products are available for this task and can be found at any hardware store. In the event the homeowner doesn’t want to tackle it themselves, many pressure washing companies offer this service at a reasonable rate. The upside is a much more attractive roof and it will ultimately extend the life of your roof and the curb appeal of your home.
- Look for any overhanging branches that may be touching or leaning on the roof. Also, any loose debris, like limbs, sticks, moss, leaves, etc. that may be collecting in corners or around guttering. These should all be removed. Tree branches that touch your house provide easy access to squirrels and other “critters” that can eventually try to gain access to your attic.
- While most homeowners don’t think of guttering as part of the roof system, it is critical that you keep your gutters clear of all debris. This can cause moisture damage to the lower deck boarding of the roof as well as to the soffit boards and facia along the gutter line. Gutters that are filled with debris add excessive weight and can cause the guttering to separate from the roof line allowing moisture to seep in and cause water damage. When cleaning your gutters look for shingle granules or grit. If you find this in excessive amounts it’s a sign your shingles are degrading and may need to be replaced.
- It’s also important to check the rubber boots that surround vents, skylights or solar tubes. If your home has one or more chimneys you’ll want to check the seal on the flashing and if necessary re-caulk these areas.
A Trustworthy Roofing Contractor in Tallahassee
Bowles Roofing is your trusted friend in the roofing business in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. With over 28 years’ experience, and an A+ rating from the BBB, you can count on Bowles Roofing to provide the highest quality roof repair or replacement services for both residential and commercial roofing of all types, including shingles, flat roofs, metal and tile roofs. We hope you never experience an emergency that requires our services, but if you should, make Bowles Roofing your first call! Please find out more about us at https://rooferstallahasseefl.com/