How to Know When it’s Time to Replace Your Roof?
“The time to replace your roof is when the sun is shining.” John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Bowles Roofing will gladly assist you in maintaining your roofs integrity through scheduled inspections and repairs. Identifying and addressing small problems as they occur will prolong your roofs life and ultimately save you money. At some point however, all roofs eventually need replacing.
Many factors may affect the “normal” life span of your homes roof. For example, a metal roof will have a longer life span than a standard 3-Ply shingle roof. The quality of the materials used when installing the roof as well as the workmanship can affect roof life. And of course, climate and weather events. As we have discussed in another Blog, (insert link to Maintenance Blog), it’s a good habit to inspect your homes roof after any weather event, but also at least once a year by walking around and looking for signs of wear and tear. Cleaning your gutters is also an excellent time to examine your roof more closely.
Here is a checklist of things you can look for that may necessitate you contacting a professional roofing company, and could mean it’s time to replace your roof.
- Shingles are curling, torn or cracked
- Shingles show exposed bald areas where granules are missing
- Your roof is missing shingles. This is an indication that your shingles are worn out and need replacement
- If you notice many of your neighbors having their roofs replaced, and if you know your home was built in the same time period, your roof is likely to be nearing that point as well. A shingle roof could last 20 to 25 years but events over the life of the roof as well as other factors could shorten its life span
- There are signs of discoloration from algae, lichens, or moss. In areas where moss is very prevalent, roofs can experience shingle damage and granule loss as moss holds in moisture and can degrade shingles over time
- Anytime you notice leaking after a rainfall or water spots suddenly appear and continue to grow you may need to replace your roof. At the very least, you have an issue that needs immediate attention. Water damage can ensue, potentially leading to mold damage. Addressing this issue at the onset of the problem will save you in the long run
- “Blistering” shingles. When debris builds up on your roof, the attic is poorly ventilated, or the shingles are just past their life span, moisture or gas inside the shingles may cause it to bubble outward. When these blisters break open they leave holes in the shingle and will need to be replaced to prevent damage to the wood below
- Roof Rot is very common in our Florida climate with its high humidity and potentially heavy rain falls. This could be noticeable only in certain spots on your roof where moisture is high. If you have rot in one area of your roof you could have other areas where decay is in progress
- Examine your attic. Yes, start from the inside with a good flashlight! Do this if possible on a sunny day and look for any traces of light entering the attic or signs of water staining on beams, walls or flooring. Any of these signs are an indication you have leaks which require immediate attention
A Trustworthy Roofing Contractor in Tallahassee
Bowles Roofing is your trusted friend in the roofing business in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. With over 28 years’ experience, and an A+ rating from the BBB, you can count on Bowles Roofing to provide the highest quality roof repair or replacement services for both residential and commercial roofing of all types, including shingles, flat roofs, metal and tile roofs. We hope you never experience an emergency that requires our services. When you experience this, make Bowles Roofing your first call! Please find out more about us at https://rooferstallahasseefl.com/